Everything you need to know about Big Brother Mzansi Season 4 2023/2024 | Big Brother Mzansi S4 FAQs
1. What are the entry criteria for people who wish to participate in the show?
If you are a citizen/legal resident of South Africa and 21 years of age or older (as of 01 January 2024), then you can audition for the show. The show’s selection team is looking for housemates who are fun-loving, creative, original, and articulate as well as housemates who are tolerant of views and lifestyle choices other than their own.
2. Are there any restrictions on entry (for example: individuals with disabilities/individuals without a matric certificate)?
Outside of the requirements listed above, there are no restrictions on entry for Big Brother Mzansi 4.
3. On what days/dates will auditions for Big Brother Mzansi 4 be held?
Auditions will take place between 01 -20 November 2023. These will be conducted in phases including a video call and if they are successful, they will come to JHB for the face-to-face auditions.
4. Is there a registration fee for Big Brother Mzansi 2 auditions? Will I have to pay to have my entry processed?
No. There is no payment involved in auditioning for the show. Entry is free, though you will naturally be responsible for any costs incurred in getting yourself to and from the audition venue.
5. Must I enter Big Brother Mzansi 4 as an individual or can I enter with a partner?
For Big Brother Mzansi 4, entries are for individuals only.
6. Are former Big Brother Africa or Big Brother Mzansi housemates allowed to enter the show?
No, former housemates of either Big Brother Africa or Big Brother Mzansi 2 are not allowed to enter Big Brother Mzansi 4. This season of the show is calling for fresh entries in order to find new housemates.
7. How long will Big Brother Mzansi 4 run for?
Big Brother Mzansi starts on Sunday 21 January 2024 and will run until the Finale on 31 March 2024.
8. What is the prize of Big Brother Mzansi?
The prize offered on Big Brother Mzansi won’t be less than R 1 million, and it could be as high as a mouth-watering R2 million! That’s all Biggie is saying for now. In line with South African law, this prize will be subject to taxation by the relevant authorities.
9. How can I contact the organizers of Big Brother Mzansi?
To get more information on the show keep checking www.mzansimagic.tv for updates. You can also follow @BBMzansi on Twitter or visit the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/BBMzansi)
10. What is the production company that will be producing Big Brother Mzansi 4?
Red Pepper will be the producer of Big Brother Mzansi 4.
11. Why has Mzansi Magic decided to create a new season of Big Brother Mzansi?
Given the success of the previous edition of Big Brother Mzansi, the Mzansi Magic channel is now creating season 4 of the show. It is important to note though that the choice to participate and the choice to view Big Brother Mzansi is an individual one.
12. Will Big Brother Mzansi promote social awareness for key issues facing South Africans today (employment, literacy, poverty)?
Big Brother Mzansi was created, first and foremost, as an entertainment offering. However, as responsible corporate citizens both M-Net and the production company are aware of the power of the show’s platform and, as they have done in previous seasons, will use it to highlight social causes pertinent to its viewers where possible and relevant within the context of the show.
13. Where is the Big Brother Mzansi house?
The Big Brother Mzansi house is situated at an access-controlled Studio facility in Johannesburg.
14. How big is the House?
The House has a large living space and two communal bedrooms and is attached to a garden. It also has one large open-plan kitchen area, plus a bathroom, toilet, diary room, and storeroom. As there are only two communal bedrooms, housemates will have to share. However, the House may have sections incorporated into it that Big Brother may choose to reveal at his discretion.
15. Is the entire Big Brother house covered by cameras?
Yes, the entire Big Brother house is covered by cameras. There is also a camera in the toilet but footage from this camera will only be screened if the housemates are using the toilet for a purpose other than that for which it was designed (for example: to meet and discuss other housemates).
16. How many housemates will be in the Big Brother Mzansi 4 house?
To find out how many housemates will be participating in Big Brother Mzansi 4, viewers must tune in to the launch show.
17. Will housemates on Big Brother Mzansi be restricted to speaking English only?
South Africa has 11 official languages, however, housemates on Big Brother Mzansi are required to communicate only in English.
18. Will the other housemates on the show, who do not win, take any prizes home?
At this time, Big Brother Mzansi is a winner-takes-all-all format and only the winner, as voted for by television audiences.
19. Are Big Brother Mzansi housemates paid for their appearances on the show?
No, housemates are not paid to appear on the show.
20. Are there rules that housemates must follow on Big Brother Mzansi 4 and if yes, what are these?
Yes, Big Brother Mzansi’s 4 housemates are expected to abide by the rules of the house. There are several rules governing their stay in the Big Brother house and among the most important rules is the rule strictly prohibiting violence in the Big Brother house. Any housemate who is violent and/or provokes violence in the Big Brother house will be immediately disqualified from the show. Big Brother Mzansi 4 housemates will have access to the Big Brother Mzansi house rules at all times.
21. Will the housemates of Big Brother Mzansi 4 be restricted from accessing their computers, telephones, the Internet, and other information services/devices during their time in the house?
The Big Brother show is built on the premise that housemates live in isolation within the Big Brother house and have little to no contact with the outside world during their participation on the show.
22. Will Housemates be allowed to have any contact at all with their families’ e.g. written correspondence?
No verbal or written communication is allowed with anyone outside the House unless a Housemate has an urgent family crisis and this is still subject to Big Brother’s discretion. Producers may choose, at their discretion, to allow contact for task and/or reward purposes.
23. What happens if a Housemate falls ill while in the house?
In the event of a Housemate becoming ill, they will be given first aid or may have a nurse or doctor called in to attend to them. If their condition is serious, they will be admitted to a hospital accompanied by a member of the production staff and security personnel as it is strictly within the conditions of Big Brother to maintain minimal contact with the outside world. However, should their illness mean that they have to be away from the house for a long period, it is unlikely that Big Brother will allow them to return.
24. What kind of tasks will be assigned to the Housemates?
All tasks are reasonable and involve team play. They are for Big Brother to know and for Housemates to find out, but Housemates will never be asked to perform anything outside acceptable ethical and moral standards.
25. How do the Housemates get food provisions in the house?
Housemates are given a healthy daily allowance of basic foods. This diet includes vegetables, carbohydrates such as rice and maize meal, meat, poultry, and fruit. Anything outside these foods is regarded as a luxury item and may be ordered from a special shopping list provided by Big Brother. Their luxury allowance budget is directly linked to their performance in their Task. All meals in the house will have to be negotiated and agreed upon by the other housemates.
26. Are Housemates allowed to leave the Big Brother house if it gets too much?
Housemates are free to leave at any stage during the process, on the understanding that they cannot return and may be replaced by someone else. A minimum of 24 hours’ notice is requested by Big Brother to make departure arrangements. Housemates will be obliged to provide a reason for their exit from Big Brother in the diary room. Housemates requesting a voluntary exit would also need to explain to their fellow housemates and the viewers why they have decided to leave the Big Brother game.
27. Are Housemates locked into the Big Brother house?
Yes, all doors to the outside are locked, but housemates are free to leave at any stage as long as they explain why and understand that once out of the House they cannot return. In the event of an emergency, Big Brother can open the doors at a moment’s notice.
28. Will Housemates be allowed to practice their religion?
It is one of the prerequisites of joining the house that all members are tolerant, and any practices housemates wish to follow will be tolerated.
29. Will Housemates see anyone else apart from their fellow housemates during their stay in the Big Brother house?
Housemates will not see anyone else except for a psychologist, doctor, or dentist should they request or require one. In certain instances, housemates may be asked to entertain or host a special guest.
30. Can Housemates buy stuff while in the house?
Housemates can only influence the group as to how they all should spend a communal budget. No individual purchases are allowed.
31. My company would like to advertise on Big Brother Mzansi. Who should we contact?
In order to advertise on Big Brother Mzansi, please contact DStv Media Sales (www.dstvmediasales.com).
32. What is the policy that will be employed when it comes to nudity on Big Brother Mzansi?
Big Brother Mzansi has a PG 18 rating and is aired 24 / 7 with the intention of covering all housemates’ activities, all the time. Housemates will be filmed at all times, whether in the nude or fully clothed, and this footage may be screened and/or streamed online. Housemates are free to be nude whilst in the house, as long as their actions do not infringe on the rights of the other housemates and cannot be deemed as sexual harassment in any way. What is aired is at the discretion of the producers, who ensure that all coverage is in line with the standards of the BCCSA and does not infringe on the rights of any of the housemates.
33. Who is Big Brother?
Nobody knows, but he sets the rules for the house and housemates will want to be on his good side at all times whilst staying in the house.